Explanation of Procedures for Applying for REZONING, SPECIAL USE, OR NORMAN 2025 PLAN AMENDMENT
Step 1 - Pre-Development Information Meeting and Greenbelt Commission Meeting
When making application to the City of Norman for:
NORMAN 2025 PLAN AMENDMENT
REZONING of any parcel larger than 40 acres
PRELIMINARY PLAT or NORMAN RURAL CERTIFICATE OF SURVEY (COS)
New COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATION TOWER
the City of Norman requires (22:442.1) that a PRE-DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION MEETING (Pre-Development Application) be held with nearby property owners. This meeting is the initial opportunity for you to share the proposed development concept, answer questions, and discuss any concerns that notified property owners may have. Through this meeting, these concerns can be addressed and solutions incorporated into the formal application when filed. These meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of each month (November and December meetings vary) at 5:30 p.m.
At the same time as the application for a PRE-DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION MEETING regarding applications for:
NORMAN 2025 PLAN AMENDMENT
NORMAN RURAL CERTIFICATE OF SURVEY (COS)
you will be required to submit a GREENBELT ENHANCEMENT STATEMENT for review by the Greenbelt Commission at their next meeting (usually the third Tuesday of each month) at 5:30 p.m. There is no additional filing fee for this review.
For filing deadlines please see the Planning Calendars.
Step 2 - Planning Commission Meetings
To make application for REZONING, SPECIAL USE OR NORMAN 2025 PLAN amendment, the procedure is as follows:
- Check with the Planning Department to determine your present zoning, the zone you desire, and whether or not your request must be accompanied by an amendment of the NORMAN 2025 Land Use and Transportation Plan. These applications must be preceded by a Pre-Development Informational Meeting (22:442.1)(see above section), which has a separate application process. You are allowed, though not required, to submit applications for Pre-Development and Planning Commission at the same time; all materials are due by the Pre-Development filing deadline if the two deadlines are different. The Planning staff will be happy to assist you in making these determinations.
- The Norman Zoning Ordinance requires applicants to submit with their application a list of the names and mailing addresses of all property owners of record within three hundred fifty (350) feet of their request. That radius should be increased in one hundred (100) foot increments until at least fifteen (15) separate parcels are notified, or 1,000 feet, whichever comes first. This list must be certified as current and accurate by a registered professional engineer, attorney, bonded abstractor, or registered land surveyor. This information should be submitted in a format similar to the attached form. Certified Ownership List. A Radius Map delineating the appropriate notice area will be furnished by the Planning Department GIS Division (phone: 366-5316) to be used to complete the Certified Ownership List. This list should be the same as the Certified Ownership List submitted with the Application for Pre-Development Information Meeting. However, that list will need to be updated if the application are submitted more than six (6) months apart.
- Complete two copies of the Rezoning/Special Use/2025 and submit them and the above-required materials to the Planning Department, 201-A West Gray. The Planning staff will make sure your application is complete, and will calculate the filing fee according to the following schedule: Rezoning Fee Schedule
- Your application, along with the filing fee and supporting documentation, must be filed at the Planning Department (201-A West Gray) before 1:30 p.m., on the filing deadline. Planning Commission Calendar.
- After your application and required materials are filed, legal notice of the request will be published in the NORMAN TRANSCRIPT, as required by State Law. The Applicant is responsible for the cost of publication. Also at that time, every property owner within the Notification Area shown on your Radius Map will be notified by letter of your application. These owners, and any other citizen, may protest if they so desire. If the owners of more than fifty percent (50%) of the land within the Notification Area protest your request, it will take an affirmative vote of seven (7) of the nine (9) members of the City Council to approve your application.
- At the Planning Commission meeting approximately one month after you file your completed application (the second Thursday of each month), your request will be considered at a public hearing. You will be sent notice of this meeting and you or your representative must be present. The Planning staff will introduce your request, and you and any interested citizens will have the opportunity to speak to the Commission concerning your request. This staff report will also be provided to each applicant or their representative.
- After Planning Commission action, your request will be forwarded to the City Council for First Reading approximately three (3) weeks later. (The City Council meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.)
- At the following meeting (two weeks later), the City Council will vote either to adopt or reject your request on second reading. You or your representative must be present at this meeting. At that time the City Council will have reviewed the Planning Commission minutes and recommendation. If the ordinance is approved by the City Council, it will become effective thirty (30) days from the date of its approval.
The Planning Commission and City Council meetings are held in the Council Chambers of the Norman Municipal Building at 201 West Gray Street. If you have any further questions, please call the Planning Department at 366-5433.