Providing environmentally sound, efficient utility service to our customers in a professional, safe manner at sustainable rates through six divisions.
Administration & Engineering
MISSION: To provide quality utility service to our customers in the most efficient and professional manner possible.
The Industrial Pretreatment Program provides local regulatory oversight for commercial and industrial contributors to the City Of Norman wastewater system. Industrial Pretreatment Program staff works effectively with Significant Industrial Users to protect the wastewater collection system, treatment facility and personnel, the public, and the environment from harmful discharges.
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater system, which will interfere with the operation of the system or contaminate the resulting sludge
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater system which will pass through the system, inadequately treated, into receiving waters or the atmosphere or otherwise, be incompatible with the system
- Improve the opportunity to recycle and reclaim wastewater and sludge from the system
- Provide for the equitable distribution of the cost of the municipal wastewater system
- Protect both Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) personnel who may be affected by wastewater and sludge in the course of their employment and the general public
- Enable the City to comply with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit conditions, sludge use and disposal requirements, and any other federal or state, laws to which the POTW is subject
To provide safe, reliable, efficient and cost-effective services to the residents and businesses of the City of Norman while ensuring the protection of public health and the environment through the operation, repair and improvement to the water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
Utility Line Maintenance Administration manages two sections, Water Line Maintenance and Sewer Line Maintenance, by ensuring competent and dependable distribution of water and safely transporting wastewater from the citizenry to the wastewater treatment facility in accordance with ODEQ (Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations and standards. All Division employees, except administrative technicians, are properly licensed by the ODEQ. Continuous training is provided for license renewal to provide personnel with skills necessary to safeguard public health and safety.
The mission of the Sanitation Division is to provide quality sanitation services to the citizens and business in the City of Norman in a dependable manner, and treat customers with courtesy and commitment to a cleaner Norman.
The Sanitation Division's primary responsibility is to collect and dispose of or recycle all solid waste in the City of Norman in compliance with state and federal regulations.
The Sanitation Division is organized into six sections: Utilities/Sanitation Administration, Commercial Collection, Compost Operations, Recycling Operations, Waste Disposal (Transfer Station), and Residential Collection.
Mission: To produce highly treated reclaimed water at the lowest cost to our customers.
Vision Statement: To produce a quality water product so future generation may enjoy a quality of life they deserve.
Goals: To protect aquatic life. To be good stewards of funding resources. To promote and educated the public about wastewater treatment.
Objectives: Monitor and adjust treatment processess to assure proper water quaility. Seek ways to reduce cost by understanding our needs. Conduct educational tours to communicate to our customers how we treat wastewater. Meet all federal, state and local discharge requirement as stated in our discharge monitor permit.
Mission: The overall mission of the Water Treatment Division is to efficiently provide safe, high quality potable water to the City of Norman.