Tort Claims

In order to assist the Citizens of Norman in the filing of a claim against the City, the following information is supplied. Please read this information carefully before filling out the form below.

  1. All claims must be filed with the Clerk of the City of Norman located in the Municipal Building at 201 West Gray. A claim against the City is considered barred forever if not filed within one (1) year from the date of the loss.
  2. Claimants should take care to note that the City of Norman, Oklahoma, is not the same legal entity as Norman Regional Hospital Authority (NRHA) nor Embark (Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority).  Claims relating to incidents with these entities should not be filed with the City, but according to the respective entity's claims process.  The City cannot accept claims on behalf of other entities and is not responsible for the acts and/or omissions of its independent contractors or other government entities.
  3. Receipts or estimates for requested payments must be included with your claim.  The City requires two (2) estimates to be submitted with your claim.  If your claim is ultimately approved, the City will only pay the lowest estimate.
  4. If your claim involves a vehicle belonging to you, a copy of your valid title must accompany the claim.
  5. After submission of your claim, it will be investigated as to liability and amount of damage on the part of the City.
  6. The City of Norman, by law, has ninety (90) days to act upon your claim. If no action is taken by the end of the (90th) day, your claim is considered constructively denied. No notice is made to the individual filing the claim if it is constructively denied.
  7. It could take six to eight (6-8) weeks before a claim is processed.  All claims are evaluated and reviewed by the City Attorney's Office.  Claims require official approval prior to payment being issued.  For those claims under $10,000, the City Manager is authorized to approve the claim.  For claims $10,000 and above, the City Council must approve the claim at a regularly scheduled meeting, which occurs on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.
  8. NO CITY EMPLOYEE can commit the City nor promise you that payment of your claim will be made. ONLY the Norman City Council or the City Manager may approve payment of your claim against the City.
  9. If your claim is approved, the City Attorney's Office will contact you when your check is ready to be picked up.  Before you can pick up your check, it will be necessary for you to provide adequate identification and sign a release.
  10. If your claim is not approved or is constructively denied at the end of ninety (90) days, you then have 180 days to file a formal lawsuit against the City of Norman for payment of your claim. Suits filed after the 180 days are subject to dismissal by the Court.

Further information may be obtained from reading the Governmental Tort Claims Act found in Title 51 Oklahoma Statutes, Section 152. The City Attorney's Office does not represent the Claimant.  This office is the legal advisor to the City Council. 

If you have any questions or need assistance in the filing process, please do not hesitate to contact the Norman City Attorney's Office at (405) 217-7700 or the Norman City Clerk's Office at (405) 366-5386.

Tort Claim Form