City Attorney FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is your office located and what is your mailing address?

Our office is located in the City Municipal Building at 201 West Gray Street, Norman, Oklahoma 73069. Our mailing address is City Attorney’s Office, P. O. Box 370, Norman, OK 73070 and our phone number is 405-217-7700. You may contact us with a specific question through the Contact Us link shown on our web page.

If I have a personal legal question, may I call the City Attorney for advice?

Personal legal questions need to be directed to your private attorney. The City Attorney provides legal assistance to City administration only and is not allowed to give legal advice to citizens regarding personal civil or criminal matters.

What do the prosecuting attorneys do?

The City prosecuting attorneys are responsible for representing the City in misdemeanor cases before the Norman Municipal Court. Examples of misdemeanor cases include traffic and non-traffic offenses, citizens’ complaints and juvenile offenses

If I am charged with an alcohol or drug offense, how can I keep it off my record?

If you do not have a previous record, the prosecutors may be able to recommend a deferred sentence. You should contact one of the prosecutors just prior to Court on your Court date to discuss your options.  For legal advice, you will need to contact a private attorney.

Does the prosecutor represent me in Court?

The City prosecutor represents the City of Norman, not individuals, in court proceedings.

If I file a citizens’ complaint against someone for vandalism, can Norman Municipal Court award money damages?

Municipal Court cannot collect money owed to you in criminal court. However, mediation through our Dispute Mediation Program may be an option.

Where do you file a complaint about a barking dog, neighbor complaints or other complaints that do not require the assistance of a police officer?

You must file a complaint in person at the Norman Police Department. These types of complaints normally are referred to our Dispute Mediation Program. If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the matter is referred to one of the Assistant City Attorneys to determine whether the complaint should be prosecuted in Municipal Court. The decision to prosecute a particular case is within the sole discretion of the Assistant City Attorney handling the case.

What do I do if I receive a citation?

On non-traffic citations, you have five days from the date of issuance to appear at Municipal Court. On traffic citations, the date to appear at Municipal Court is the date written at the bottom of the citation above your signature. If you choose to answer the charge in court, you must appear on or before the date at the bottom of the citation to docket the case for arraignment. At your arraignment, you will be formally advised of the charges and asked to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. If you plead “not guilty” a trial date will be set at that time. If you are pleading “guilty” or “no contest” and do not desire a court date, you may pay in person, by mail, on the phone, or on-line or use the drop box provided in the lobby at Municipal Court.

What do I do if I miss my court date?

If you fail to honor your signed promise to appear at Municipal Court or otherwise fail to satisfy the charge on or before any arraignment time specified by the Court, a Failure to Appear charge will be filed against you; a Warrant will be issued for your arrest; your driver’s license will be suspended either in Oklahoma or in your home state under the Non-Resident Violator Compact; and your license will remain suspended until the charge is released by the Court and a driver’s license reinstatement fee is paid.

Would I be able to do community service in lieu of payment fines and court costs?

Community service is only available to juveniles who have been charged with committing non-traffic offenses.

What are tort claims?

Tort claims are filed to recover damages for vehicle accidents or incidents involving damage to property or personal injury caused by the City of Norman. A Notice of Tort Claim form must be filed with the City Clerk’s office to initiate the investigation process.

Who do I contact for a tort claim form?

For a copy of a blank tort claim form you may call the Office of the City Clerk at 405-366-5406 or click on the link: Tort Claim

What is the procedure for a tort claim?

Once the City has received a completed tort claim form from a claimant, the claim is investigated by the department referenced in the tort claim. The departmental report is referred to the City Attorney’s office for review and evaluation. The City Attorney can recommend administrative payment of the claim if the amount claimed is less than $10,000. For claims over $10,000, the City Attorney’s recommendation is submitted to the City Council. The City Council has final authority to either approve or deny payment of the tort claim.

Where can you obtain copies of the City of Norman ordinances?

City ordinances are available to the public at the Norman Public Library, OU Law School Library and online.

What laws are applicable to me in starting a medical marijuana business?

City ordinance currently establishes zoning regulations and business license requirements for the following: Dispensaries, Processors, Commercial Growers, Testing Laboratories, Educational Facilities, Research Facilities, and Storage Facilities.  More information regarding city licensure requirements and procedure can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, and information regarding city zoning regulations can be obtained from the Planning & Community Development Office.  All City ordinances also require that businesses first comply with applicable state law, including licensure requirements.  Information regarding applicable state regulations should be sought from the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (“OMMA”) or Oklahoma State Department of Health.

Why do I have to pay a fee for a City license in addition to my state license fee?

The City of Norman invests significant time and resources in order to comply with Oklahoma law requiring local inspection and completion of the OMMA’s Certificate of Compliance, and in providing applicants with the resources required to safely commence and engage in operations within the City of Norman.  The City of Norman engaged in a thorough evaluation of the value attributable to this time and these resources, and set licensure fees aimed to respond to these costs.

Does Norman have a Transporter License requirement?

The City of Norman has not adopted regulations directed to the process of transporting medical marijuana products, nor will the City be performing inspections or enforcement of any vehicle, labeling or procedural requirements established by the State of Oklahoma relating to transporters.  The City of Norman also does not require the holder of a state Transporter License to get a corresponding local license unless the Transporter intends to maintain a storage facility, which is independent of an already-licensed facility (such as a licensed Dispensary/Processor/Grower facility), that will be used for its Transporter activities.  Storage Facilities are subject to City of Norman licensing and zoning regulation.

Why are City of Norman's Processor licenses divided into Tiers and am I still required to pay a state Processor license?

The State of Oklahoma’s definition of “Medical Marijuana Processor” is generally broad, as it is in other states.  In late 2019, the City of Norman began a process of evaluating processing activities and determined that limited types of processing activities could be compatible with existing commercial and retail uses within the City.  Tiers were established that allowed more widespread location within Norman of facilities that intended to engage in dispensing as well as pre-rolling and/or adding concentrates (created off-site) to products on-site for sale (such as topicals or baked goods).  At this time, multiple licensure requirements apply to facilities that engage in both activities (on both a state and local level), and a Tier I (grinding/pre-rolling only) facility in Norman must still obtain a full Processor license from the OMMA in order to legally operate.

My property is zoned by a PUD adopted prior to the City's adoption of its Medical Marijuana zoning uses categories. Will I be allowed to operate a Medical Marijuana facility at this property?

A PUD is a property-specific zoning plan that removes the property from its underlying zoning district and allows only those uses clearly set out in PUD itself.  Thus, whether a use is allowed depends upon evaluation of the PUD language.  A property owner should initiate discussions with the Planning & Community Development Department regarding the intentions for the property and receive feedback on what uses are allowed by the PUD document.