May 28, 2023
TODAY IS A BURN DAY
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80. South wind 6 to 10 mph.
Approval outside normal limits for storm debris cleanup have been made and burns must be out by 10:00pm.
Call 405-321-1444 to request burn permit.
NOTE: If you call for a permit on weekends or Holidays, please be sure to keep your phone with you and do your best to answer when we call to issue your permit. The captain at your responding Fire Station may have limited opportunity to reach out to you. Thank you!
Outdoor Burning Ordinance and Burn Permits
The Norman Fire Department permits burning of agricultural products (trees, bushes, leaves, etc.) in areas zoned agricultural and for site development. Trees, brush, grass, leaves, branch trimmings, or other plant growth may be burned on the property on which the material grew. Citizens must contact the Fire Department prior to any burning to ensure the state/county/city is not under a “Red Flag Alert” or a "Burn Ban", where conditions are likely to aid fire spread beyond materials to be burned.
Burning for site development is different in nature and therefore must be completed under additional requirements. Burning brush to clear land has higher amounts of agricultural material and is most often close to existing, developed land that can be a nuisance. Therefore, burning for land clearing must be completed with the use of an air curtain, unless the Office of the Fire Marshal grants permission to do otherwise. The material is placed into a pit in the ground and the air curtain supplies combustion air. In doing so, the material burns quicker and combustion is more complete and produces little to no smoke.
You can call 405-307-7200 weekdays, or 405-321-1444 weekends for a permit.
- Burn permits expire each day 3 hrs. prior to sunset. https://sunrise-sunset.org/us/norman-ok
- Burn permits are free.
- Bonfires are a special circumstance and must be permitted through the Fire Prevention at 405-292-9780. You should apply for a bonfire permit at least one week prior to your event.
The following information is required at the time permission to burn is requested:
- Name of responsible party
- Date and time desired for burning
- Materials to be burned
- Approximate amount of materials
Requirements & Guidelines
- You must have a permit to burn. Lack of a permit will result in a citation.
- Fires must be out 3 hours prior to sunset, so it depends on the size of the pile. Generally fires should not be started after 2pm.
- Burning of trash is not allowed.
- Burning is only allowed in rural areas for land clearing purposes. Burning brush in town is prohibited.
- Bonfires require a special permit issued by the fire department.
- Humidity has to be 40% or higher
- The Wind speed can be no higher than 10 mph
- No burning within 150 feet of an occupied or unoccupied structure other than those on your own property
- No accelerant (i.e. diesel, gasoline, etc.) may be used.
- Someone must stay with the fire until the fire is completely extinguished
- You must have a water source on the property for your use
- Smoke cannot cause problems for neighbors or for traffic, or it will be extinguished
- The fire must be out 3 hours before sunset -https://sunrise-sunset.org/us/norman-ok
- If the fire should get out of control and cause damage to someone else’s property, you could be held liable for damage
- The approximate size of the brush pile being burned cannot exceed 20 feet in length x 20 feet in width x 6 feet in height
- Brush piles must be burned one-at-a-time. One pile must be completely out before starting the next.
Click here for Weather Forecast
Click here for Wind Gust & Humidity