The maximum penalty in Municipal Court is $750 and/or 60 days in jail.
Schedule of Fines
Traffic Violation Fines
- Excessive Speeding - $135.00
- Clocked Speeding - $5.00 Per Mile in Excess of Speed Limit (maximum $200.00) plus $85.00 costs
- Too Fast for Conditions - $135.00
- Violations Occurring in School Zone or School Crossing Zone (Including Speeding) - $285.00
- Speeding Violations Occurring in Construction Zone - $285.00
- Driving without a License - $135.00
- Vehicle Licensing Offenses - $120.00
- Transporting Open Containers (1st Offense Only) - $285.00
- Failure to Yield / Emergency Vehicles - $285.00
- No Verification of Insurance Form (1st Offense Only) - $285.00
- Unlawful Transportation of Children by Day Care Centers - $135.00
- Racing on Highway - $285.00
- Improper Equipment - $120.00
- Child Restraint Violations - $135.00
- Seatbelt Violations - $20.00
- Texting while Driving - $185.00
- Violations Resulting in Accidents - $185.00
- Careless/Failure to Devote - $185.00
- Inattentive Driving - $185.00
- Failure to Stop (ordinance #20-810) - $185.00
- Railroad citations - $185.00
- Reckless Driving - $285.00 (first offense)
- DUS/DUR - $285.00 (first offense)
- 3rd or subsequent moving offenses during preceding 12 months - $285.00
All Other violations (except those listed below) - $135.00
Traffic Bond Amounts (Requires Court Appearance for Norman Residents)
- Violation - No Accident Involved / With Accident Involved
- Reckless Driving - $320.00 / $370.00
- Leaving Accident Scene - N/A / $270.00
- Allowing Unauthorized Person to Drive - $220.00 / $270.00
- Unlawfully Passing a School Bus - $220.00 / $270.00
- Eluding a Police Officer - $220.00 / $270.00
- Driving Under Suspension / Revocation - $320.00 / $420.00
- Transporting Open Container - $320.00 / N/A
- No Verification of Insurance Form - $320.00 / N/A
Non-Traffic Violation Fines (For violations not listed below, a court appearance is required)
- Offense - First Offense / Second or Subsequent Offense
- Aiding or Abetting - $285.00 / $335.00
- Public Intoxication - $285.00 / $285.00
- Persons Under 21 Entering Where Alcohol Sold - $285.00 / $335.00
- Possession of Alcohol - $285.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Attempts by Minors to Purchase Alcohol - $285.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Smoking in Certain Public Places - $95.00 / $135.00
- Health & Safety, Article 5 - Tobacco (except for 10-503) - $135.00 / $285.00
- Health & Safety, Article 2, 3, 4, & 6 - $285.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Animal Welfare - $285.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Building Code (Chapter 5) - $285.00 / $335.00
- Sign Code (Chapter 18) - $285.00 / $335.00
- Off-Street Parking - $285.00 / $285.00
- Failure to Appear - $285.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Possession of Marijuana - $290.00 / Court Appearance Required
- Begging - $285.00 / $335.00
- Adults Permitting Curfew Violations - $285.00 / $335.00
- Adults Permitting Truancy Violations - $285.00 / $335.00
- Unlawful Assembly - $285.00 / $335.00
- Unauthorized Use of Refuse Container - $285.00 / $335.00
- Sutton Urban Wilderness Violations - $285.00 / $335.00
- Outraging Public Decency - $285.00 / $335.00
Types of Violations
You must request a court appearance by appearing in person at Municipal Court, 201 W. Gray, Building B. Municipal Court requires a cash bond in the amount of the ticket plus thirty dollars ($30.00) court costs at the time a court date is scheduled.
If you receive a parking citation and believe the parking meter is not working properly, please notify the court in person or by telephone immediately. Please inform the Court of:
- The meter number (located on your citation)
- Your tag number
- The Citation number
- Date of violation
- Your name & phone number
The Court will report the information to the Transit & Parking Department and you will be notified within 48 hours of the result of the meter check.
If the meter is not working properly, you will not owe the fine. Otherwise, payment will be due.
Impoundment of Vehicle for Delinquent Tickets
Any vehicle found to have three or more delinquent citations may be impounded in accordance with City Ordinance 20-701. Towing and storage fees, in addition to citation fees, are the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
|Violations Paid Within Five Days||Violations Paid After Five Days|
|Excess of time||$10.00||$25.00|
|All other parking violations||$20.00||$30.00|
Delinquent Parking Citations
Delinquent parking citations are referred to Linebarger, Goggan, Blair and Sampson, LLP. for collections ninety (90) days after the due date. There will be an additional fee assessed to parking citations sent to collections.
If you are eligible for and have signed a written promise to appear you must timely appear for arraignment in municipal court as indicated, or any subsequent arraignment dates and times as set by the court, unless you choose to enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to the charge on or before such arraignment time.
If you have questions regarding the number of offenses you have received in the previous twelve months, you may call 405 366-5325 and inquire, or appear in the Office of the Clerk.
Appearance Norman Residents
You are required to appear in person at the Office of the Clerk of the Municipal Criminal Court of Norman, Oklahoma, if you are presently residing in the City of Norman, provided that for certain offenses listed on the fine schedule, you may choose to pay the appropriate administrative fine listed and mail in payment prior to your appearance day, i.e., within five days of the issuance of the citation.
Unless you mail your fine within five days, you must bring your copy of the citation within five days (Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded) to the Clerk of the Court at 201 W. Gray, Bldg. B (corner of Daws and Front), Norman, Oklahoma, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The Clerk will explain the court procedures to you and docket the case appropriately for your appearance before the judge for disposition of the case in court.
Incorrect administrative payment by mail will not constitute satisfaction of the judgment.
If you have questions regarding the number of offenses you have received in the previous twelve months, you may call 405 366-5325 and inquire, or appear in the Office of the Clerk within five days.
If you fail to timely appear at the Clerk’s office within five days and have not paid or otherwise satisfied your fine and costs, an additional charge of Failure to Appear will be filed against you, and a warrant will be issued for your arrest.
If you are not presently residing in Norman and have posted a cash appearance bond, you are not required to appear before the judge in court. You may appear before the judge in court if you desire, but, if you do not appear, your bond will be forfeited and the case will be closed. If you have posted an appearance bond through a bondsman, an appearance will be required within 5 working days.
For eligible administrative payments, attach payment according to the fine schedule to the citation, enter your plea of guilty or no contest, sign your name, date the document, and remit to the clerk of the court. Under Oklahoma law, a dishonored check or other dishonored payment is considered nonpayment of fine and costs. Mail payment to: Municipal Court 201 W. Gray, Building B Norman, OK 73069 Note: Please include your Ticket Number on all payments. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Fine payment may be made by mailing personal check, cashier’s check, or money order payable to the City of Norman.
Payment may be made in person at the Municipal Court public counter by cash, check, money order, cashier's check, or credit card at the address listed above. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., closed Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Payments may be made in person or over the telephone using a credit card during office hours as set forth above.
Located outside the Court's lobby door.
Driving Without a License
If you have been charged with Driving Without a License and you have proof that you had a valid license on the date and time of the offense, you must bring proof to the Court at 201 W. Gray, Bldg. B, Norman, OK before your arraignment date and upon proper proof of license, the charge may be dismissed without costs. Thereafter, costs and fees of $55 will be assessed.
Driving Without a Security Verification
If you have been charged with No Security Verification Form in Possession and you have proof that the vehicle you were driving was covered by insurance on the date and time of the offense, you must bring proof to the Court at 201 W. Gray, Bldg. B, Norman, OK, before your arraignment date and upon proper proof of insurance, the charge may be dismissed without costs. Thereafter, costs and fees of $55 will be assessed.
Failure to Honor Signed Promise to Appear
WARNING AND NOTICE: If you fail to honor your signed promise to appear or otherwise fail to satisfy the charge on or before any arraignment time specified by the court:
- Your driver’s license shall be suspended, either in Oklahoma, or in your home state under the Non-Resident Violator Compact
- Your license will remain suspended until the charge is released by the Court and a driver’s license reinstatement fee is paid
- A Failure to Appear charge will be filed against you
- A Warrant will be issued for your arrest
Warrant citations are referred to Linebarger, Goggan, Blair and Sampson, LLP. for collections ninety (90) days after the due date. There will be an additional fee assessed to warrants sent to collections.