Application Deadline: Friday, July 30th
Youth Council promotes civic engagement, gives students an opportunity to learn about how local government operates, develops leadership skills, increases communication between youth and adults, and increases volunteerism. It is vitally important that they are vested with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to be the next generation of local leaders. Participants will meet with the Mayor and other City Officials, tour pubic facilities, and make a presentation to City Council.
When are applications accepted?
Applications are accepted between May and August and are formally approved by the City Council.
What are application requirements?
- Applicants must live in a Ward of the City of Norman. ward map
- Applicants must be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior in the upcoming academic year and interested in local government..
- Applicants must provide a completed application, including two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, employer, minister, youth group leader, family friend, coach, or club advisor who is familiar with their service to the community and/or their leadership skills.
- Terms will be for the school year (September to May) with a limit of two terms.
- Applicants must be able to attend Youth Council meetings that are held the 2nd Monday (September, October, November, December, January, February, and April), at 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and the 2nd Tuesday in May, at 6:15 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
What are application considerations?
- Includes at least one representative from both local high schools, private, charter, and home schools.
- Includes students from diverse backgrounds.
- Applicants should demonstrate a proven record of leadership, goal-setting, commitment to community service and community values, and a desire to create positive opportunities for other youth in the community.