Important Documents and Information
Election Filing & Voting Information
Candidates must file at: Cleveland County Election Board, 641 East Robinson, Suite 200
Qualifications: All candidates must be a qualified voter in the city of Norman for six months prior to the date of the municipal election. Councilmember candidates must also live in the Ward at the time of filing.
Filing Date: December 6, 7, 8, 2021
Election Dates: February 8th, 2022 (Municipal) & April 5th, 2022 (Runoff)
In the event no candidate receives a majority of all the votes cast at the municipal election the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes will stand in a municipal runoff.
(1) Submit a written declaration of candidacy setting forth the candidate’s name as he or she desires it to appear upon the ballot, address by street number, and the name of the office to become a candidate; and
(2) Councilmember Candidates: Cashier’s check or certified check in the amount of $50.00; or in the alternative by a petition supporting the candidate’s filing signed by 50 registered voters eligible to vote for the candidate for the position. The check shall be returned to the candidate immediately if the candidate is unopposed in the Municipal Election, receives more than fifteen percent (15%) of the total votes cast in the Municipal Election, or becomes a candidate in the Municipal Runoff Election.
(3) Mayor Candidates: Cashier’s check or certified check in the amount of $75.00; or in the alternative by a petition supporting the candidate’s filing signed by 75 registered voters eligible to vote for the candidate for the position. The check shall be returned to the candidate immediately if the candidate is unopposed in the Municipal Election, receives more than fifteen percent (15%) of the total votes cast in the Municipal Election, or becomes a candidate in the Municipal Runoff Election.
CANDIDATES WILL FILE THE DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY AND FILING FEE OR PETITION WITH:
CLEVELAND COUNTY ELECTION BOARD
641 E. ROBINSON STREET, #200
NORMAN, OKLAHOMA 73071
The deadline is January 14, 2022, to register to vote or change your registration for the February 8, 2022, municipal City Council Wards 2, 4, 6, 8 and Mayoral elections.
Visit the Oklahoma State Election Board to download a voter registration application and to get more information on registering to vote. You can also get voter registration applications at the state election board office, your county election board office or post offices, tag agencies and libraries. You can also register to vote online at the OK Voter Portal. Once you complete your application be sure to print, sign, and mail the application to the Cleveland County Election Board in order to complete the process.
If the winner of the Feb. 8th election earns a majority of the votes, that candidate will be sworn in to a two-year term for Councilmembers and a three-year term for Mayor on July 5th. If no candidate receives a majority, the two candidates with the most votes will stand in a decisive runoff election April 5th.
The Norman Council is nonpartisan and members serve part-time at the head of the City’s Council-Manager form of government.
- All Norman voters registered by the Jan. 14th deadline are eligible to vote in the municipal election Feb. 8th. Use your voter ID card or the Oklahoma State Election Board’s online voter tool at ok.gov/elections to find your polling location or confirm your registration.
- Voters who have disabilities can find more information about voter assistance in Oklahoma at ok.gov/elections.
- State law requires proof of identity to vote. Acceptable forms of ID are a voter ID card, driver’s license or another form of ID issued by the federal government, state government or federally recognized tribal government.
- The deadline to submit request for an absentee ballot by mail for the municipal election is 5:00 p.m. Jan. 24th. Apply for an absentee ballot or download an absentee ballot request form at ok.gov/elections.
- Overseas voters, including military members, can get more information about overseas absentee voting at ok.gov/elections.
Early voting for the municipal election is 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 3rd and 4th at the:
Cleveland County Fairgrounds, 615 E Robinson Street in Norman
*Regular voting is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 8th at your usual polling location.
Candidate Orientation for Candidates and their Treasurers
December 13th, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. located at 201 W. Gray St, City Council Chambers
*Candidate Manuals will be provided at this session*
2022 Candidate List
|Name||Mayor||Ward 2||Ward 4||Ward 6||Ward 8|
A. E. Stephenson-Leuck
Midway Bob Thompson
GO Norman 2020 Bond Information - Bond Transparency Act of 2017
Social Media Public Participation Policy
Subscribe to Norman News
Signup to receive regular updates on city happenings from Norman Staff.
Subscribe to AlertNorman
Norman residents can sign up to receive free emergency alerts from the City of Norman via text message, email, and/or voice message.