The Norman Police Department establishes a Diversity and Equity Committee affirming the agency’s commitment to work on creating and maintaining a culture of diversity and inclusion within the organization and the Norman community.
Composed of a diverse group of both commissioned officers and civilian employees, the Diversity and Equity Committee aims to uphold its mission to discuss, educate and lead department efforts to enhance the values of diversity, equity, and inclusivity both internally and externally.
The committee meets monthly to ensure continuous internal and external communication, education, and evaluation of department efforts to ensure fair and objective police services to all members of our community are without discrimination to any individual or group.
Applying insight from both internal and external sources, the committee will work to generate further discussion on, and conduct trainings for, issues involving diversity both within the department and in the community served. The committee also aims to lead a variety of community outreach initiatives including enhancing recruitment opportunities.
NPD Diversity and Equity Committee
Mission and Values
Mission: The Norman Police Department Diversity and Equity Committee's mission is to discuss, educate and lead department efforts to enhance diversity, equity and inclusivity both internally and within the community we serve.
Equity - Ensuring each voice has equal value
Diversity - Ensuring different voices from all communities are represented
Inclusivity - Ensuring each voice takes an active role
Key Initiatives of the Committee
Four key initiatives of the committee:
- Facilitating discussions between employees and the community regarding cultural topics and historical events
- Audits department training and continuing education to address cultural and gender bias issues
- Leads consistent reviews of publicly released department data for bias-based trends
- Provides recommendations on department procedure, policy, program, and partnership needs
What action will the committee take?
- Lead discussions
- Conduct trainings
- Lead community outreach initiatives
- Take advantage of enhanced recruitment opportunities
The NPD Diversity and Equity Committee is composed of 10 commissioned employees and five civilian employees.