Beginning on July 28, access to Acres Street will be closed on the west side of the Porter Avenue intersection while road crews continue reconstruction of the intersection. Acres Street will be accessible to local traffic from the west, but there will be no access to or from Porter Avenue. Acres Street on the east side of Porter Avenue will be unaffected by the construction at this time. This shutdown is expected to remain in place for approximately 30 days while the west half of the intersection is constructed.
History of the Project
On April 2, 2019, the citizens of Norman voted in favor of a Bond Issue to finance the local share of nineteen transportation improvement projects. One of the nineteen 2019 bond projects is the Porter Avenue and Acres Street Intersection Bond Project.
The City of Norman conducted a bid opening on June 20, 2019, for the Porter Avenue and Acres Street Intersection 2019 Bond Project. The low bidder was Rudy Construction Company of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in the amount of $2,600,996.65. The City Council awarded the project at the October 27, 2020, City Council Meeting. This project has a 250-calendar day construction schedule, which will likely result in a late summer completion. The city of Norman Public Works Department is administering the construction of this project, with the assistance of the Norman Utilities Authority. The project is fully funded with 2019 Transportation Bond funds.
Proposed improvements for the Porter Avenue and Acres Street Intersection 2019 Bond Project include:
- Revised geometry of the intersection to enhance traffic operations and pedestrian safety
- New traffic signals with ADA compliant ramps and crossings.
- New storm water structures meeting current City of Norman codes and ordinances
- Dedicated left turn lanes to enhance traffic operations
- Reconfigured access from Daws Street to accommodate intersection improvements at Porter and Acres
- Utility relocations as needed to accommodate intersection improvements including new waterlines.
- New ADA compliant pedestrian sidewalks adjacent to the roadway
- Streetscape elements such as decorative lighting, sidewalk concrete and landscaping.