Skip to Content

Zoning Descriptions


The following summary of Norman zoning districts has been prepared by the Planning Department as a general guide and is not to be substituted for the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.  Chapter 22 of the Code of the City of Norman contains the Zoning Ordinance.


The Planned Unit Development District is designed to encourage developments with a superior built environment brought about through unified development and to provide for the application of design ingenuity in such developments while protecting existing and future surrounding areas in achieving the goals of the NORMAN 2020 Document of the City of Norman.   The “PUD” provides for greater flexibility in the design of buildings, yards, courts, circulation, and open space than would otherwise be possible through the strict application of other district regulations.


The General Agricultural District is designed to encourage and protect agricultural uses on the urban fringe.  Single family dwellings, churches, schools, parks, certain public facilities, plus the raising of agricultural crops and farm animals are permitted in this district.  There is a 2 acre minimum lot size required with a 0.5 DU/net acre intensity of use.


The Rural Agricultural District provides an area primarily for agricultural uses remote from the urbanized area.  Single family dwellings, churches, schools, parks, the raising of agricultural crops and farm animals and certain public facilities are permitted uses.  There is a 10 acre minimum lot size with a 0.1DU/gross acre intensity of use.


The Residential Estates District is established to provide for a low population density in the rural area, especially in the Lake Thunderbird watershed.  The principal use of land is for single family detached dwellings and related recreational, religious, and educational facilities.  These areas are intended to be defined and protected from encroachment by uses which are incompatible with a residential environment.  There is a 2 acre minimum lot size required with a 0.5DU/net acre intensity of use.


The Single Family Dwelling District permits single family dwellings, general purpose farms or gardens.  Schools, golf courses, municipal and public uses, churches, child care establishments, and planned unit developments are permissible after review by the Planning Commission and City Council.  6,000 square feet of land area is required for each unit with intensity ranges from 3 units/gross acre to 7 units/gross acre.


The Single Family Attached Dwelling District is designed to encourage an alternative housing form which is compatible with other types of low density residential development.  The R-1-A District allows attached dwellings and zero lot line development on smaller lots than the R-1 District requires.  4,500 square feet is required for these units; with intensity ranges from 6 to 10 units/gross acre.


The Two-family Dwelling District permits all R-1 uses and permits two-family dwellings, a single family dwelling plus a garage apartment, and accessory buildings customarily incidental to these uses.  Uses permissible on review include off-street parking lots, and child care establishments.  The minimum lot area required is 5,000 square feet for single family dwellings, or 7,000 square feet for two-family dwellings or a single family dwelling with a garage apartment on the same lot. Intensity of use ranges from 7 units/gross acre to 12 units/gross acre.


The Low Density Apartment District provides areas for low density multi-family housing including two-family dwellings, garage apartments, apartment houses containing four or fewer units, and quasi-unit quarters such as fraternity or sorority houses, boarding houses, or rooming houses.  Additional uses include R-1 uses, convalescent homes, rest homes, nursing homes, planned unit developments, and off-street parking lots are uses permissible on review.  The minimum residential lot for a single family dwelling shall be 5,000 square feet with not less than 3,250 square feet per family on any lot.  The intensity of uses in the RM‑2 District ranges from 7 units/gross acre to 13 units/gross acre.


The Mobile Home Park District is designed to encourage properly planned mobile home parks and subdivisions in residential environments.  Other uses include RM-2 uses.  Area regulations are the same as for the RM-2 District with intensity of uses ranging from 6 units/gross acre to 11 units/gross acre.


The Medium Density Apartment District provides for a variety of dwelling types.  Uses permitted include all uses permitted in the RM-2 District, plus townhouse development and accessory buildings and uses.  Special Uses include those allowed in the RM-4 District, fraternal service organizations not conducted for profit, professional office buildings, and funeral parlors or mortuaries.  Single family dwellings require 5,000 square feet per lot; two-family dwellings require 6,500 square feet per lot; apartment houses require 9,000 square feet per lot, but not less than established ratios; and non-residential buildings shall not exceed the ratio of floor area to lot area of 0.5 except as provided.  Intensity of uses in the RM-6 District ranges from 17 units/gross acre to 21 units/gross acre.


The Multi-Family Dwelling District allows any use permitted in the R-2 District, plus apartment houses and accessory buildings.  Special Uses include fraternity and sorority houses, rooming houses, commercial parking lots, funeral parlors or mortuaries, and convalescent or nursing homes.  Minimum lot areas are:  5,000 square feet/single family dwelling; 7,000 square feet/two-family dwelling; 9,000 square feet for apartment houses, with 3,000 square feet additional for each dwelling unit more than three on the lot; 5,000 square feet for group quarter housing, plus 2,000 square feet for each rooming unit.  Intensity of use averages 17 units/gross acre.


The Residence-Office District provides for high density residential development, limited offices, convenience goods stores and personal service establishments in conjunction with residential uses  primarily in the vicinity of the campus business district.  Residential intensity options allow for small lots of 6,000 square foot minimums or large lots of 40,000 square foot minimums with floor area ratios established for different uses.  The general or small lot option has an intensity of use range of 26 units/gross acre to 33 units/gross acre, while the large lot option has a range from 32 units/gross acre to 43 units/gross acre.


The Office-Institutional District is designed to allow office and institutional uses on the perimeter of residential neighborhoods when landscaped yards and open space are provided.  Uses include art galleries, assembly halls, libraries, testing laboratories, museums, music conservatories, office buildings, schools, churches, fraternal service organizations, and child care establishments.  Special Uses include hospitals, funeral parlors, and mixed buildings in certain instances.


The Suburban Office Commercial District is designed for commercial and institutional activities located near residential neighborhoods or the rural country side, away from concentrations of people, traffic, and other commercial activities.  Uses include apartment hotels, art galleries, non-profit assembly halls, laboratories for research and testing, libraries, museums, music conservatories, office buildings, public and private schools, churches, and recreational uses or shops incidental to the above uses.


The Local Commercial District is intended for uses necessary for the conduct of retail trade and to provide personal services to meet the regular needs and for the convenience of people in adjacent residential areas.  Requirements for light, air, open space, and off-street parking are more restrictive than in the C‑2 and C-3 Districts.  Uses include banks, barber shops, drug stores, food stores, restaurants, etc.


The General Commercial District is intended for the general service and retail businesses in the community.  Uses include all C-1 activities plus automobile sales, lumber yards, service stations, etc.  Taverns and night clubs are Special Uses granted by the City Council.


The Tourist Commercial District accommodates the grouping of commercial activities necessary to supply the normal needs of tourists, and to protect these against other incompatible commercial uses.  The TC District is intended for non-urban locations east of 72nd Avenue.


The Rural Commercial District is intended for the conduct of retail trade and to provide personal services to meet the regular needs and convenience of rural residents. It is anticipated that this district will be the predominately used commercial district in rural Norman. It is intended that this zoning district be located at the intersection of improved section line roads.


The Intensive Commercial District permits most uses allowed in the C-2 District.  Certain light manufacturing may be permitted on review if requirements are met.  No off-street parking is required, and yard requirements are eliminated.  Its application is restricted to the central core of the City.


The Light Industrial District permits most manufacturing, warehousing, and wholesaling activities, with controls on the external effects such as noise, fumes, vibration, etc.  Certain retail commercial uses are permitted, as well as veterinary hospitals.


The Heavy Industrial District permits all industrial uses, except those expressly prohibited.  Ordinarily this district is located away from residential and business districts.


The Restricted Industrial District provides a transitional zone between industrial and residential districts, containing light industrial uses -- clean and quiet --  offices, and limited retail services.  Structures are restricted in size and open spaces and landscaping is required.


The Flood Hazard District identifies areas subject to one-hundred year frequency floods as determined by the Federal Insurance Administration, (F.I.A.).  This district overlays other zoning districts and specifies additional regulations to be observed.  Agricultural and recreational uses, plus accessory uses to residential, industrial, and commercial uses are permitted.  Uses which involve structures, fill, or storage of materials or equipment may be permitted by issuance of a Flood Plain Permit.


The Park Land District provides a zoning district to accomplish the reservation (and later use) of land for park and open space purposes.


The Historic District is intended to be an overlay zoning district and the regulations imposed by such district shall be in addition to the regulations of the underlying zoning district applicable to the subject parcel.  Building permits must be reviewed by the Historic District Commission. 


The Airport Height Ordinance is an overlay zoning district intended to prevent the creation or establishment of hazards to air navigation in the area surrounding Max Westheimer Airport.