Mechanical Permit Fee Schedule
Mechanical permits will be issued to contractors currently licensed by the State of Oklahoma and the City of Norman. The fees are based on Norman Code Section 5-104. If you have any questions regarding the fee structure, please call the City of Norman Building Permit Information and Inspection Desk at (405) 366-5339.
A fee summary is provided below to help you estimate fees associated with the most frequently issued and most commonly used trade permits. Actual fees will be determined when the permit is issued. Every effort has been made to assure accuracy of the information presented in this document, but the calculation of fees determined when the permit is issued will prevail.
New Construction - the fees for urban service area new construction are determined by the size (expressed in tonnage or horsepower) of the cooling or refrigeration unit, and the size of the heating unit (expressed in output BTU or KW). These fees are also applicable to any first time installation of a unit on an existing structure.
Effective June 1, 2010 the City of Norman began collecting $4.00 for each permit issued above the cost of the permit as mandated by the Oklahoma Uniform Building Commission (OUBCC).This is pursuant to State Statue 59 O.S. SS 1000.23 and 1000.25 also known as the Uniform Building Code Commission Act; and in accordance to the Emergency Rules Title 748 of the Uniform Building Code Commission (OUBCC) signed into effect by Governor Brad Henry on January 12, 2010.
- Cooling Units of 150 Tons/HP or Larger $ 185.00 Per Unit
- Cooling Units of 25.5 to 150 Tons/HP $ 2.50 Per Ton Over 32 Tons or $ 17.50 Minimum Fees for 32 Tons or Less
- Cooling Units of 3.5 to 25 Tons/HP $ 2.50 Per Ton Over 7 Tons or $ 17.50 Minimum Fees for 7 Tons or Less
- Cooling Units of 0 to 3 Tons/HP $ 17.50 Per Unit
- Gas Heating Unit 0 to 120k BTU Output $ 17.00 Per Unit
- Gas Heating Unit 121 to 200k BTU Output $ 16.50 Per Unit
- Gas Heating Unit over 200k BTU Output $ 23.00 Per Unit
- Electric Heating Unit 0 to 40 KWH Output $ 17.00 Per Unit
- Electric Heating Unit 41 to 60 KWH Output $ 16.50 Per Unit
- Electric Heating Unit 61 to 150 KWH $ 23.00 Per Unit
- Electric Heating Unit over 150 KWH $ 41.00 Per Unit
Replacement or repair of existing systems, the fee required will be the minimum permit fee, unless more than two inspections are required. In that instance, it will be the minimum fee plus $15.00 per each additional inspection. The minimum and per inspection fees are also relevant to miscellaneous duct work, or other mechanical permits.
- Minimum Fee……………..…………………….$25.00
- Per Inspection Fee……………………………..$15.00
Other Costs: There is a $25.00 cost for re-inspections; or for on-site consultations with the City Inspectors.