NORMAN FORWARD is a citizen-initiated proposal to renovate, expand, construct and fund Quality of Life projects, such as multiple recreational facilities, libraries, parks, athletic venues, public art, trails, swim complexes and other quality of life projects throughout Norman. The initiative came to the City Council from community groups, stakeholders and Norman residents, who prepared an initial package using analysis and information from recreational planning professionals and research firms.
Beginning in the Spring 2015, the Norman City Council began a series of Council conferences and additional public meetings to refine the project scope, financing and funding opportunities for the NORMAN FORWARD initiative. This initiative includes a number of high priority projects outlined in the 2014 Library Master Plan Update, the 2009 Norman Parks and Recreation Master Plan, and additional projects designed to provide recreational opportunities for Norman residents.
The NORMAN FORWARD package includes the following proposed projects:
- Library System Improvements—Central Branch and East Branch
- James Garner Avenue Extension
- Indoor Aquatic Facility
- Westwood Pool & Westwood Tennis Center Improvements
- Reaves Park Baseball Complex Improvements
- New Softball and Football Complex
- Griffin Park Soccer Complex Improvements
- Multi-Sport Facility (replace WWII hangar east of YMCA)
- Park Land Acquisition—Griffin, Sutton Wilderness and Cate Parks
- Community Park projects at Ruby Grant, Andrews and Saxon Parks
- Existing and New Neighborhood Park Renovations and Development
- New Trail Development and Canadian River Park
- Senior Center
- Public Art at selected locations
At the August 11, 2015, City Council meeting, the City Council voted unanimously to approve the NORMAN FORWARD Ordinance O-1516-5 and Resolution R-1516-14 that called for an election to take place on the NORMAN FORWARD project package.
The temporary one-half percent (1/2%) sales tax was approved by Norman voters (72% approval) on October 13, 2015. The voter authorized sales tax went into effect January 1, 2016.
Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Click here to download the NORMAN FORWARD Informational Brochure
Click here to view the June 2015 NORMAN FORWARD survey results